When the first words out of your mouth are ‘Oh my goodness! This thing’s a tank!’ you know you have something special. Perfect for the plus-sized family like ours, the 2016 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD is big on interior space yet small enough to maneuver and park at your favorite locations.
See also: 2016 Toyota Highlander XLE V6 AWD Review
2016 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD
I’m going to preface this review with the fact that we absolutely LOVE the 2016 Toyota Sequoia, so much so that we have researched the three different trims available to purchase our own. While the Platinum trim is not the best option for our family, the Platinum option features heated captains chairs in the second row, the Limited comes equipped with the third row bench we’re looking for in a new SUV.
The 2016 Toyota Sequoia is a tough SUV with a luxurious ride and handling. The stylish cabin has ample storage space perfect for business owner like me who frequently works out of the office.
Depending on your driving style you can choose between two suspension/ride settings, comfort for long drive and sport when you need a little more stability. Living in our mountainous region I kept the Toyota on the sport setting most of the time, to handle the curvy roads better, but anytime I had to travel into the city I enjoyed the softness of the comfort setting of the suspension.
For those that tow, you can see how easy it is to switch from 2WD to 4WD High or 4WD Low with the turn of a knob.
The second row control panel allows passengers to customize their seats and temperature for personalized comfort. Rear passengers also have the opportunity to watch movies from the center ceiling mounted Blu-Ray player, keeping little ones busy on long drives.
Because this is a vehicle we are really interested in purchasing I wanted to put her to the ultimate test, a family trip with all four kids to Costco. I know that might not seem like much to some but for our family it’s a necessity. The compact SUV we drive now doesn’t fit a full Costco trip for our family and many times we have to take two vehicles to bring every thing, and everyone, home.
As you can see, packing the 2016 Toyota Sequoia with the 3rd row seat up was no problem. With 18.9 cubic feet of storage space behind the third row, we had more than enough room in the rear cargo area to fit everything we purchased, as well as all four kids and the hubs up front.
If you have an extra-large load to carry and can leave the little ones at home, you will find 66.6 cubic feet behind the second row and 120.1 cubic feet behind its first row. The Toyota Sequoia has lots of cargo space for the class.
The power of the V8 had no problem maintaining speed as it pulled through our mountains, and the smaller steering wheel made the Sequoia easy to maneuver in tight spaces. The highlight of the 2016 Toyota Sequoia is it’s spacious cargo area, making it the perfect vehicle to handle all our families needs.
Additional Features of the 2016 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD include:
Mechanical & Performance
- 5.7L DOHC 32Valve IForce V8 with Dual Independent VVT-I; 381 HP/401 LB FT Torque
- 6-Speed Auto Transmission w/ ECT-I. TOW/HAUL Mode
- 4WD w/Locking Center Diff; Tow Hitch
- Electronic Modulated Air Suspension
- Adaptive Variable Suspension System
- 20″ Diamond Cut Alloys; P275/55R20 Tires
Safety & Convenience
- Star Safety System; Vehicle Stability Control; Traction Control; ABS w/Electric Brake Force Dist, Brake Assist, Smart Stop Tech
- Rear Backup Camera
- Power Liftgate w/ Jam Protection
- Trailer Sway Control; Blind Spot Monitor
- Anti-Theft System with Engine Immobilizer
- Driver & Front Pass: Advance Airbags; Seat Mounted Side Airbags & Knee Airbags; All Row Roll-Sensing Side Curtain Airbags
- Child-Protector Door Locks
- LATCH – Lower Anchor & Tether for Children
- Front and Rear Parking Assist Sonar
- Chrome Power Auto-Dim Heated O/S Mirrors w/Memory Power-Folding w/Reverse Tilt-Down Feature
- Multi-Reflector Halogen Headlamps with Auto-Off Feature; Headlamp Cleaners; Fog Lamps; Windshield Wiper De-Icer; Roof Rack; Tilt/Slide Moonroof w/Sunshade; Rear Spoiler; Running Boards; Privacy Glass
- Auto 3-Zone Climate Control w/Air Filter
- Entune Premimium JBL Audio w/Int Nav&App Suite; 6.1″ Hi Res Touch Screen/Bluetooth/USB/HDRadio/14 Speakers & Amp/CD/SXM-3 Mnth Trial
- Rear Seat Blu-Ray Player w/9″ Screen
- Power Windows; Power Door Locks; Dynamic Laser Cruise Control
- 7-Passenger Leather-Trim Seats; Heated/Vented 10-Way (w/Memory) Driver & 4-Way Front Passenger Power Adjustable Seats; Heated Sliding, Reclining 2nd Row Captains Chairs with 1-Touch Access to Power Recline; Fold-Flat 60/40 3rd Row
Our family was provided the opportunity to test drive the 2016 Toyota Sequoia courtesy of DriveShop for one week. No compensation was provided and all opinions are my own.