This is our anaphylaxis stories from a peanut allergy reaction. We had never watched what Grace ate. We fed her everything and she ate everything. Through nine months of nursing, she never showed any sign of having any type of food allergy, even a peanut allergy. So why would we second guess giving her peanuts? Better yet, why wouldn’t we give her peanuts?
Anaphylaxis Stories – Peanut Allergy Reaction
It was a boring Sunday afternoon and the weather was warm and gorgeous. We were all sitting around the house getting ready for to have lunch when I decided on a whim to prepare a peanut butter sandwich for Grace to eat for lunch.
I know many of you food allergy moms are sitting at your computer now screaming at the top of your lungs “WHY!!!!!!!!!!!”, but really why not? Grace eats from bakeries, something we don’t let Mitch do, and we have never watched a label for her or questioned how a food was prepared by someone else for her. Her older brothers without food allergies eat peanut butter sandwiches around her, play with her and kiss her, and never once did we have a problem.
Until I fed her a peanut butter sandwich.
Then it happened.
Within seconds there was a hive under her lip. One hive. I screamed for my husband.
Then there was two, three, four.
I guesstimated a dose of Benadryl (based on her 3-year-old brother’s weight), gave it to her and jumped in the car for the hospital. (Note: Since this anaphylaxis stories, suggested food allergy treatments have changed and it is no longer recommended to give Benadryl when a known peanut ingestion has occurred.)
Her face was turning red and blotchy, starting at the mouth and spreading upwards. The whites of her eyes turned red.
As I was driving to the hospital (the hospital is 5 minutes away and we decided we could get there faster than an ambulance could get to us) she kept falling asleep in her car seat. She had just woke from a nap before lunch and I knew she wasn’t tired. Grace was in shock. Her body was shutting down. This was part of her reaction too.
I must have looked like a crazy lady running through the emergency room doors with her in my arms, her face and eyes bright red. I tried to somewhat (but probably not so much) calmly tell the nurse what was happening. It had been ten minutes since she consumed one small bite of peanut butter.
She immediately received a shot of Prednisone and was watched at the hospital for 2 hours. Within 30 minutes her reaction had subsided and she was happily eating a bowl of cereal from the hospital cafeteria.
We left the hospital that day with heavy hearts that we had a second child with food allergies. Grace received oral Prednisone for four more days to prevent a biphasic reaction, a common complication of anaphylaxis, and she now carries her own Epi-pens.
We have never been so scared for our little girl, or any of our children, and we are so blessed this, her anaphylaxis stories, was not her last story.
Update: Gracie had a second anaphylaxis reaction just weeks later to the peanut protein skin prick test. Just like the previous reaction, this one came on slow and we almost missed the reaction as she quietly fell into shock again.