Showcase your family with this easy, personalized DIY family name tile project featuring the people you hold closest to your heart.
DIY Family Name Tile
You can create this easy DIY family name tile project in any tile color you want and with any vinyl color you want. The basic shapes are easy to draw in Silhouette Studio® or Silhouette Studio® Designer Edition, you can use your favorite font for the text, and Silhouette Premium Vinyl makes transferring your design to the tile easy as pie.
- Silhouette CAMEO® or Silhouette Portrait™
- Silhouette Studio® or Silhouette Studio® Designer Edition
- Silhouette Premium Vinyl (White)
- Silhouette Hook Tool
- Silhouette Spatula Tool
- Ranger Adirondack Earthtones Alcohol Ink (Lettuce)
- Ranger Adirondack Alcohol Blending Solution
- Tim Holtz Inkssentials – Ink Blending Tool
- Ranger Ink Non-stick Craft Sheet (or other surface protectors)
- Transfer Paper
- 6″ x 6″ Tile (Glazed Non-porous)
- Wash and clean your tile to remove any dust or particles. Place your Craft Sheet on your work surface to protect it from any ink spills.
- Scatter several drops (10 or so) of Ranger Adirondack Earthtones Alcohol Ink (Lettuce) on the surface of your 6″ x 6″ tile. With the Tim Holtz Inkssentials – Ink Blending Tool, quickly dab the ink to help spread it around the surface of the tile. The sponge of the blending tool will help create a textured effect. (Tip: If you don't like how you ink looks, use Ranger Adirondack Alcohol Blending Solution to wipe your tile clean and start over.) Set aside to dry.
In Silhouette Studio® or Silhouette Studio® Designer Edition, create the name design you wish to cut.
(Tip: To create the bottom brick of the house with negative space, first draw a rectangle in Silhouette Studio® or Silhouette Studio® Designer Edition. Next, type the letters of your last name. Then, select both layers and, from the top menu bar, go to Object -> Modify -> Subtract.)
- Load the Silhouette Premium Vinyl (White) as directed and cut your DIY name tile design. Don’t forget to change your blade depth and cut setting for each material.
- To cut your design, follow the instructions that come with Silhouette materials.
- Remove the liner from transfer tape and gently lay tape over your design starting in the center and moving out towards the ends. Burnish the tape to the vinyl using overlapping strokes.
- Peel the transfer tape with your design attached to it off of the vinyl liner. Remove any negative space you don't want on your finished tile.
- Apply your DIY name tile design and transfer tape to the tile and burnish the design to the surface. Gently peel back transfer tape and 45-degree angle. If vinyl starts to come off with transfer tape, lay area back down and burnish again.