As the holiday fast approaches, I realized I was in need of a quick DIY patriotic wood sign to complete my holiday decor. I wanted something that was red, white and blue, but a bit different from the classic Americana style. With the help of Martha Stewart Crafts, this fun and festive patriotic wood sign was easy to whip up in one afternoon.
DIY Patriotic Wood Sign
The fresh, delicious color palette featured on the cover of the June issue of Martha Stewart Living included some of my favorite patriotic colors. Habañero (red), Blue Sky (light blue), and Wild Blueberry (dark blue) are strong, bold colors that pop off the Wedding Cake (white) color, giving this patriotic wood sign the oomph it needs to sparkle on Independence Day.
- Martha Stewart Crafts Multi-Surface Satin Paint (Wedding Cake)
- Martha Stewart Crafts Multi-Surface Satin Paint (Habañero)
- Martha Stewart Crafts Multi-Surface Satin Paint (Blue Sky)
- Martha Stewart Crafts Multi-Surface Satin Paint (Wild Blueberry)
- Wooden Shape
- Martha Stewart Paper Stencils
- Martha Stewart Glass Patterning Tape
- Martha Stewart Utility Brush Set
- Martha Stewart Crafts Foam Pouncers
- Using the large utility brush, paint natural color wooden shape with Martha Stewart Crafts Multi-Surface Satin Paint (Wedding Cake) to cover. Let dry
- Lay out your design on top of your painted wooden shape using the negative space from the Martha Stewart Paper Stencils.
- Once you have a design in mind, you can start painting your project with your Martha Stewart foam pouncers, layering the different colors one by one, letting the paint dry between each application.
Keep in mind when painting, darker colors layer over lighter colors better than when the colors are reversed. To create the polka dots that stay within a star, layer the polka dot stencil on top of the star stencil then paint. You may need to use a small utility brush for this instead of a pouncer.
- Add any last touches and set aside to dry completely.
If you love this DIY patriotic wood sign craft, check out our DIY vintage decor chair and DIY stenciled wood pallet crates. For more #12MonthsofMartha inspiration, follow #12MonthsofMartha on Pinterest and Instagram (simply search the hashtag #12MonthsofMartha!) or visit here!
This is a sponsored post on behalf of Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia for 12 Months of Martha.