There's no doubt we live a busy life. Between homeschooling four kids, sports, and running a home business it seems like we're always on the go. This my friends is why I had only one request on Mother's Day. To have nothing scheduled and no commitments on our calendar. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.
See also: Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Review
This year, we decided to take a relaxing road trip along one of California's most beautiful roads overlooking the Pacific Ocean to celebrate Mother's Day, the Pacific Coast Highway, and to experience what the new 2016 Mazda3 i 4-door Grand Touring has to offer. The Mazda3 ranked #2 in compact sedans by Car and Driver and was awarded the Editors Choice badge for being one of the best sedans for 2016-2017.
Mother's Day Pacific Coast Highway Road Trip in the Mazda3
My Mother's Day began as many did. A delicious pancake breakfast in bed made by the cutest little fingers around, a special Mother's Day Mass at church, and the best present I could ever ask for. A day of no commitments.
To celebrate, we jumped in the Mazda3 and embarked on an adventure along one of our favorite California roads, the Pacific Coast Highway. Our trip began in the Santa Monica Mountains and extended up from Los Angeles County to Ventura County, finishing in one of our favorite beach locations, the bustling Ventura Harbor Village.
With the Mazda3's roomy interior and leatherette-trimmed sport seats I knew we would enjoy a comfortable ride through the Santa Monica mountains, while the SIRIUSXM Satellite Radio and BOSE speakers kept us grooving to our favorite tunes.
One of my favorite features in the new Mazda3 is the Multi-Function Commander Control, which assures us that we are always listening to our favorite songs while still keeping our eyes on the road.
Once we crossed the mountain range and caught the first glimpse of the Pacific Ocean our kids couldn't help but jump at the chance to get their feet wet. I mean, who could blame them. The quiet waves of the ocean crashing against the shore is my happy place to escape the trials of day-to-day life, and I know it was theirs too.
It's been a while since we've made it to the ocean and I nearly forgot just how much their carefree hearts loved the sand and the water, until this happened. Pure unadulterated joy. That laugh is just what I needed to hear this Mother's Day.
But it wasn't just the joy that made this Mother's Day special. Mother nature had a surprise in store for us as well. As we were enjoying out time watching the kids live life to the fullest, our beach was approached by four whales and half a dozen seals as the kids built sand castles in the sand.
(A big shout out to Kevin who let us strap a GoPro to his head for the first time!)
Before we knew it, it was time to head up the coast a bit father to see what we could find, and what a find we found.
Thanks to the Mazda Navigation System, we stumbled upon the Goleta Air and Space Museum Point Mugu Missile Park, where we found a wide variety of the missiles and airplanes that have been tested at Point Mugu since World War II. I couldn't help but snap a quick photo of the Mazda3 under the Grumman F-14A Tomcat. Just look how sleek she looks.
We had one more stop before heading home and that was for dinner at the Ventura Harbor Village. If you haven't been to the Ventura Harbor Village you have to plan a visit. Less crowded than many popular beaches, Ventura Harbor Village is a vibrant, seaside attraction boasting 35 seaside boutiques, art galleries, and waterfront restaurants, as well as an arcade complete with a mid-1970’s carousel our kids love!
Additional Features of the 2016 Mazda3 i 4-door Grand Touring Include:
- SkyActive-G 2.0L DOHC 4-Cyl Engine
- SkyActive-MT 6SPD Manual Trans
- 155 Horsepower 150 LB-FT Torque
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes
- Electric Power Assisted Steering
- Independent Front/Rear Suspension
- 16-Inch Alloy Wheels
- P205/60 R16 All-Season Tires
- Rain-Sensing Windshield Wipers
- Heated Power Side Mirrors w/Turn Lamps & Halogen Fog Lights
- Moonroof w/One-Touch Open
- Auto On/Off Halogen Headlights
- Halogen Daytime Running Lights
- Black Grille
- Body-Color Read Deck Lip Spoiler
- Bright Beltline Trim
- Leatherette-Trimmed Sport Seats
- 6-Way Power Driver's Seat w/Manual Lumbar Adjustment
- Variable Heated Front Seats
- Dual-Zone Auto Climate Control
- Power Windows/Locks/Automatic Door Locks
- Advanced Keyless Entry System
- Push Button Engine Start
- Auto-Dim Rearview Mirror
- 60/40 Split Fold Down Rear Seat
- Rear Seat Armrest w/Cupholders
- Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel, Gearshift Knob, & Brake Handle
- 7″ Color Touch Screen Display
- Multi-Function Commander Control
- Rearview Camera
- Mazda Navigation System
- BOSE 9-Speaker Centerpoint Audio
- Pandora AHA Stitcher Audio
- Am/FM/CD, HD RADIO, 2 USB Inputs
- SIRIUSXM Satellite Radio
- SMS Text Message Delivery & Reply
- Bluetooth Hands-Free Phone/Audio
- Cruise Control & Trip Computer
- Steering Wheel Mounted Controls
- Carpeted Floor Mats
Safety and Security Features
- 60MO/60K MI Powertrain & 36MO/36K MI Bumper to Bumper Warranty
- 24-Hour Roadside Assistance
- Anti-Theft Engine Immobilizer
- Blind Spot Monitoring
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- Dynamic Stability Control
- Traction Control System
- Hill Launch Assist
- ABS with EBD & Brake Assist
- Advanced Dual Front Air Bags
- Front Side-Impact Air Bags
- Front & Rear Side Air Curtains
Our family was provided the opportunity to test drive the 2016 Mazda3 courtesy of DriveShop for one week. No compensation was provided and all opinions are my own.