Today's recipe is the perfect mix of delicious taste and being pretty healthy for you too. These sweet potato mini pizzas bites may not give you the same satisfaction of a normal pizza but you will feel better afterwards.
You can switch up the toppings to make them a bit different and get as creative as you want. The base of the ‘pizzas' are not dough but sweet potato so when roasted they have the most amazing crispy edge and a soft delicious centre. You could enjoy a couple of these as part of your main meal with salad. Even better, these pizzas are great as part of a buffet, canapé or starter.
Sweet Potato Mini Pizza Bites Recipe
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- some oil to roast
- cherry tomatoes
- chopped salami or chorizo
- roasted red peppers
- sun-dried tomatoes
- fresh basil
- First, you should preheat the oven to 180C/160C for fan oven/ Gas mark 4.
- Then peel the sweet potatoes and parboil them. When cool slice them into disks that are around 1/2cm thick.
- Put the disks on to a baking tray and drizzle with oil and season. Make sure all the sweet potato disks are lightly coated.
- Place the disks evenly on the tray and roast in the preheated oven for between 15 to 18 minutes. Towards the end of this time, preheat the grill.
- When the disks are roasted, immediately top them with a generous pinch of mozzarella and the other toppings of your choice. The sun-dried tomatoes and roasted red peppers are particularly nice with chopped chorizo!
- Pop the mini pizzas under the preheated grill until the cheese melts. To finish, garnish with some fresh basil and you are ready to serve!
These are such a great alternative to traditional pizzas and are the perfect option for if you are having guests for a dinner party as they are something different that most people probably won't have tried!
What do you think of these mini pizzas? Do you think you will be trying them out?