You may feel a bit overwhelmed by your homeschooling adventure if you’re just starting out. Homeschooling comes with its share of pressure to feel like you’re getting it right, which ultimately causes stress. No matter how much you plan and prepare, there are always going to be things that you never knew you needed to know until a situation arises. Something will always surprise you.
Your biggest obstacle may come from the amount of time homeschooling consumes in your day and how it keeps you distracted from other necessary things like cleaning, laundry, shopping and cooking. It may seem like a never-ending battle to get it all done while maintaining your sanity. You may be wondering how you’re ever going to balance it all.
Here are 7 tips for home school moms to help you deal with the overwhelm and find some balance. Grab a cup of coffee and relax, you can handle this!
7 Tips for Home School Moms to Balance Their Day
- No mom can function without a little bit of down time. If your kids no longer nap, let them enjoy some quiet time looking at picture books or playing quietly while you take a little breather.
- Audio books can be a sanity saver. If you’re too busy for read-aloud time, find some audio books in your child’s comprehension level and let them listen. Audible.com is a great resource for this.
- Take time to observe your child and pay attention to what they enjoy. Use that as a way to hold their attention when teaching. It’s much easier for both of you when they are learning in a way they love.
- Leave some flexibility in your schedule. Unexpected things always come up at the most inconvenient times and tasks usually take longer than expected. Don’t over-schedule. Instead plan some free time into your day so that you have a chance to catch up, and if you don’t need it, use the time to relax.
- Things will change. Usually at a moment’s notice. Be open to that fact and be willing to adapt as necessary.
- Wake up at least an hour before the kids. Allow yourself enough time to put on the coffee and have a little quiet time before your kids start tearing through the house. You’ll be grateful you did.
- Take time to restore your sanity. Go for a walk or spend some time by yourself for a little while. Sleep in. Take a nap. Take a day off of school every now and then. Do something other than books for a day. Go on a field trip or let the kids learn on their own with study toys.
Whatever you do, make sure you find time to care for yourself every day or you’ll get burned out in a big hurry and won’t be able to give your best self to your family.