We LOVE our local chicken festival, and when we heard more chicken calls then we've ever heard before I knew I had to investigate. Turns out, those calls weren't from chickens at all. Instead, they came from these ingenious easy chicken crafts for kids.
Though I couldn't find the original inventor of this kid-friendly chicken craft, I want to give a shout-out to all the amazing chicken lovers who devote hours making this event one of the most memorable events my children experience year after year.
And what's a chicken festival without a chicken toss! So much fun!
Easy Chicken Crafts for Kids
Kids will love creating this easy chicken call with this simple DIY tutorial. This easy chicken crafts for kids craft is great for parties, special chicken-themed events, chicken festivals, hide and seek games, and more! Best of all, this craft makes noise! Just check out the short video below! Have a little fun with your mom and dad or your sister and brother, and see if they can guess where the chicken is hiding.
- 6 oz Red Solo Cup
- 2′ Yarn
- Sponge (Approximately 2″ long by 1″ wide, and 1″ thick)
- 5″-6″ Red Ribbon, Curled
- 2 Google Eyes
- Small Triangle of Yellow Felt (for the beak)
- Small Nail
- Using a small nail, poke a small hole in the bottom of a 6oz Red Solo Cup, just large enough to thread a piece of yarn through.
- Turn the cup upside down and from the inside of the cup, a thread just enough of one end of the yarn through the hole and tie a knot. (Knot will be on the bottom of the cup since the cup is upside down.)
- Tie the other end of the yarn around the middle of the sponge.
- With the cup still upside down, adhere the curled ribbon to the top of the cup (over the yarn knot) and let dry.
- Use adhesive to attach the google eyes and felt ‘beak' to on side of the cup to create a chicken face. Let dry.
To use your new Chicken Call: Lightly moisten the sponge. Place the moistened sponge at the top of the yarn (close to the cup) and pull down in short strokes. As the sponge slides down the yarn, it will make a noise like a chicken. (Bwwwooooook, bwok, bwok, bwok, bwok, bwok, bwok, bwok.)
Check out how awesome our easy chicken crafts for kids sounds below.
Chicken lovers! Share your favorite easy chicken crafts for kids in the comments below.