This is a sponsored post on behalf of Scholastic.
As a parent, there's only one wish we truly have for our children: to fill them with the confidence to be themselves, to live life to the fullest, and to never be afraid to love themselves. Okay, maybe that's more than one wish, but you get what I mean. My Wish for You, a thoughtful and inspirational book from actress Kathryn Hahn and illustrated by Brigette Barrager, was written as a reminder to us all, young and old alike, that it's okay to have the inner strength to love ourselves. To know that we are all perfect in our own way and that it's okay to be you, flaws and all.
In celebration of the release of My Wish for You, in stores September 25th, I wanted to pen my own wishes for our daughter Gracie. Some of these wishes I'll share with her now, and some I hope she'll look back on throughout her life. Gracie, this is my wish for you: I want you to be you.
My Wish for You – I Want You to Be You
Gracie, you're our one and only daughter, and, growing up with three older brothers who adore you, you're the little princess of our family. While we shower you with the love and the power to embrace and love every little quirk you have, unfortunately, it can be a cruel world out there, and those little quirks that make you, you, may bring unwanted judgment from a society that demands perfection.
My wish for you is that you know:
- You are beautiful. You have gorgeous strawberry blond hair. How do I know this? Everyone we meet, and I mean EVERYONE, tells you how beautiful your hair is. But, being a redhead has also brought the quiet comments: Ginger, Firecracker, and Red. But, don't ever let them, those comments, take your fire away. Love what God gave you, something many women pay their hairstylist a lot of money for. Embrace your red hair and love your whole beautiful self.
- Those aren't freckles: that's how many times an angel has kissed you. Take a tip from your father and let those freckles sparkle. They're not a flaw, and never let anyone make you believe they are. Those freckles are a simple kiss from the sun, from the angels above who love you so much.
- Embrace your shyness. There was a time that we wanted you to break away from being so shy, but you know what, that shyness is you. I, too, was shy as a child, and sometimes I forget that. Take hold of your shyness and own it. You're a sweetheart. You're the ideal friend. And, it’s okay to own your shyness.
- Don't care if not everyone likes you: find your tribe and love them hard. Don't give yourself away to just anyone, and always protect your heart. Let people EARN the right to be your friend, don’t let them demand your friendship. And it's okay if you and a friend are not a match. Life changes. People change. Remember to always be kind and understand that it's okay to say goodbye.
- Be curious. Be strong. Be fearless. Life is short. Try new things and find joy in the little things. It’s okay to shout to be heard if no one will listen. Never be afraid of loving yourself, and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Live life on YOUR terms. Love your whole beautiful self, because you are perfect just the way you are.
Gracie, my wish for you is to be you because you are the only you. You are unique. You are beautiful. You are silly. You are strong. You are kind. You are all that you need to make your wishes come true.