Let’s face it, teen boys can be stinky creatures. We found this out the hard way the day I brought home a car full of little league boys after a long day of tournaments. Phew! My car stunk for literally two days. Two. Whole. Days. According to a study, moms (49%) and sons (41%) agree that the majority of guys start getting that “funky new smell” at age 11 or 12, making it the perfect time to arm them with Old Spice’s Wild Collection to help tame that newfound odor. Since hitting puberty can be a sensitive topic with some boys, we're sharing the tips we learned from the Old Spice School of Swagger event this week to help you give your boys the hygiene guidance to keep that new smell under control.
Old Spice School of Swagger: Puberty Videos for Teen Boys
Compared to girls, young guys (and their parents) don’t always have the same access to tools and resources that can help ease their transition into adulthood. When it comes to puberty, girls often take the spotlight, while guys take the backseat. … Until now!
The NEW Old Spice School of Swagger is an online, video-based puberty curriculum developed by the same brand that has been helping guys navigate the seas of manhood for nearly 80 years, because being a dude is hard. Just released in time for the new school year, the video series is the ideal tool to help parents and educators across America teach their boys about proper hygiene, and to help answer those tough questions. Not only is this new video curriculum the perfect addition to your school's health course, it's a great resource for homeschool parents like myself who are the sole educators in their child's life.
After attending the School of Swagger event in Los Angeles this week with Old Spice guy Isaiah Mustafa, and Sweat Scientist, Jaime Stahl, I couldn't wait to come home and share the everything I learned about teen puberty in boys from the School of Swagger educational videos with our teen boys.
Like, did you know it's not your sweat that smells? Yep! You read that right. It's the bacteria that eats the protein rich sweat from the apocrine gland, your second type of sweat gland that appears after puberty. The eccrine sweat gland, which everyone has from birth, doesn't smell, which is why babies don't smell when they sweat. Now you know.
You can learn this and so much more about sweat and puberty from the School of Swagger educational video series below. In the first video of the series, Isaiah introduces us to his friend Josh, and the beginning signs of puberty.
If you have a teen who is less than open to the discussion of puberty, we have some amazing parenting and teen tips from Deborah Gilboa, M.D., popularly known as Dr. G.
According to Dr. G, it's best to use humor when trying to get boys to use deodorant, instead of being too serious and worrying about hurting their feelings. Tell him you know it's awkward, aaaannndd…. we're doing it anyway.
- Tweens are super vigilant about being treated like a little kid. Instead of assuming they are clueless about the topic, ask them to tell you if they've heard about it before. If you're not the person he can talk to about this, ask him who the right adult is. If you can both agree on another person, that may help him open up.
- Before you start a convo about puberty or body odor or mood swings or any of the other challenges of the teen years, get comfortable with the topic yourself. Find great content, such as the Old Spice School of Swagger, to get the answers to YOUR questions so you can start this conversation like a pro.
Not only did we learn valuable information about teen boys and puberty at the School of Swagger event, but we also came home with the Old Spice Smellergency kit packed with the new, Old Spice Wild Collection.
The Old Spice Wild Collection – inspired by the wild kingdom’s personality traits – is available in anti-perspirants, deodorants, body washes, body sprays and shampoos, in the following scents:
- Krakengärd – Smells like citrus, fresh herbs, and the unspeakable power of the ancient ocean
- Bearglove – Commands grizzly-bear-level respect with smells of apple, citrus, and spice
- Wolfthorn – The sort of sophisticated wolf who wears a suit that has a suave, sweet orange scent
- Hawkridge – Outwits unsuspecting stink with its sandalwood and vanilla scent
With the Old Spice Wild Collection, you will hardly even smell that you have a son, while he still gets to unleash his wild side in a responsible, great-smelling way. Young guys like the Wild Collection because it allows them to express their personalities and spread their wings with confidence (but not too high and far, mom!)
Moms and sons can find the Old Spice Wild Collection nationwide at drugstores, food stores, and mass merchandisers.